Support and Advice
Special Educational Needs (SEN) Local Offer
Paston College is passionate about supporting students with learning disabilities and/or difficulties.
The aim at the college is to ensure young people have information and support to enable participation and to assist in achieving the best possible education outcomes.
Curriculum Services will assess special educational needs to understand the learning disability or difficulty which requires special education provision to be made for a young person.
Special education provision means educational provision that is additional to or different from that made generally for others of the same age. Examples:
On course support
- In class support can be one to one, where a member of Curriculum Services supports you on an individual basis in class
- Shared support where a staff member supports you and others in the class
- Discreet support where you might not want everyone to know and our support staff can help you without it being obvious
Off course support
- Off course support to help with your course work, homework, supporting you at lunchtime or taking you to your taxi, personal care, SaLT etc
Our specialist staff are experts in:
Autism, ADHD, Asperger’s Syndrome, Dyscalculia, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Emotional Behavioural Difficulty, Hearing Impairment, Mental Health, Physical Disability, Severe Learning Difficulty, Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties, Complex Needs and Visual Impairment.
Specialist Educational Services
- Specific Learning Disability team (SpLD)
- Speech and Language Therapist (SaLT)
- Educational Psychologist
- Assistive Technology (A full list can be provided)
- RUG room for ASD students
- Sensory room
All special educational support is dependent on assessment criteria and funding conditions being met.
How do I get Specialist Educational support?
Curriculum Services aims to support you to reach your full potential and achieve your goals. We strive to support you in becoming an independent learner and we can adapt the support you need as your learning progresses.
- Support on application - When you tick any of the boxes on the application form disclosing a disability or difficulty, we will discuss what level and type of support would be good for you.
- If you have an Education Health Care Plan, please share this with us to help plan your support needs. You can email this to SEN@ccn.ac.uk or bring it to reception for the Curriculum Services team to pick up
- Tell Curriculum Services about your needs as soon as possible so we can plan your support and secure the funding from the Local Authority. Without this you may not be able to access support.
- To find out more about the support available to students, please contact our Curriculum Services team on (01603) 773 241 or CSCoordinators@ccn.ac.uk
Transition to college
Preparing for adulthood and starting at Paston College might be a bit of a worry, so you can request a guided tour to come and look around to gain an insight into college. It will also give you a chance to ask any questions you my have about the college.